Missed the initial deadline? There are still more senate spots waiting to be filled.
-1 CCOM Senator
-2 LSB Senators
-1 Sorority Senator
-2 University Apartments (AV, CTS, UT, BT) Senators
-2 Off campus senior/junior Senators
Fill out the forms below and Jimmy Lardin and Becky Rhodes will contact you for an interview.
What is Student Senate?
In April 2015, the former SGA Student Assembly passed a resolution to transition from a governing body of student organizations to a Student Senate representative of each academic college, class standing, and residence housing. The Student Senate allows for a greater representation of the Butler University student body, as it creates more opportunities for higher engagement and involvement of student leaders, while also serving as an avenue for students to voice campus questions, concerns, and ideas.
The Senate is comprised of 34 senators: 2 senators from each academic college, 2 senators from each residential area, and 1 senator from each class year.
Academic College Senators
- College of Communication senators
- College of Education senators
- College of Liberal Arts & Sciences senators
- College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences senators
- Jordan College of the Arts senators
- Lacy School of Business senators
- Senior Class senators
- Junior Class senators
- Sophomore Class senators
- First Year Class senators
- Fairview House senators
- Ross Hall senators
- Residential College senators
- Apartment Village senators
- University Apartment senators (includes Butler Terrace, CTS, and University Terrace)
- Commuter senators
- Senior Off-Campus senators
- Fraternity senators (must be living in the fraternity during term)
- Sorority senators (must be living in the sorority during term)
Requirements of Senators
- Full-time undergraduate student at Butler University
- Maintain a minimum 2.5 GPA
- Remain in good academic and conduct standing with the University
- Attend weekly SGA Student Senate meetings (1.5 hour time commitment). Senators must complete a year-long term.
- Hold and coordinate multiple outreach events for constituents, including, but not limited to: coffee chats, office hours, monthly newsletters, and Q&A sessions.
Responsibilities of SGA Student Senate
- Serve as an advocate and representative for his/her respective constituency
- Gather and share feedback, thoughts, and concerns from student body at Student Senate meetings
- Act as an ambassador for the Student Government Association
- Review and provide approval for SGA budget
- Work on behalf of students by writing legislation, meeting with faculty and university administrators, and developing student initiatives and projects
- Serve on internal Student Senate committees in coordination with the Student Initiatives Board (SIB). Senate committees include: Academics, New Student Organizations, Student Life, Operations and Sustainability, Election Oversight, and Diversity & Inclusion
If you have any questions in regards to the SGA Student Senate, please contact SGA Parliamentarian Michael Faust at firstname.lastname@example.org.